Nutrition and Oral Health
Choosing the right foods in your diet can play a huge role in how healthy your teeth and gums will be, along with good oral hygiene habits. The foods you eat come in contact with the bacteria that live in your mouth, and if you don’t brush often enough a sticky substance called, “plaque” accumulates on your teeth. Plaque thrives on sugars and starches, attacking the enamel of your teeth, eventually causing tooth decay. Choosing a healthy diet and avoiding snacks that are high in sugars is one way to help prevent cavities.
Children are particularly vulnerable to tooth decay. To help a child achieve the best chances for optimal oral health, parent’s should:
- Provide a good diet throughout childhood
- Brush children’s teeth until they are mature enough to do a good job themselves (usually 6 or 7 yrs.old)
- Supervise twice daily brushing and flossing
- Never put babies or toddlers to bed accompanied by a bottle of milk (lactose), juice, or other sweet drink as these contain sugar
- Never dip pacifiers in honey or syrup
Flouride also helps in preventing tooth decay. In children it works with calcium and phosphorus to help strengthen the enamel. In adults, it helps harden and restore the enamel. If your drinking water does not contain flouride you may need some supplements or flouride treatments.
Brushing twice a day helps prevent tooth decay and gum disease, but the technique is just as important.
Our dental professionals will guide and educate you on the proper brushing techniques. Here are some tips:
- Avoid hard scrubbing
- Brush your teeth for 2-3 minutes
- Brush all inner and outer and top surfaces
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria or scrape with a tongue scraper to help freshen breath
- Flossing helps clean the bacteria between the teeth. Learn the proper way to use dental floss without hurting your gums.
Oral Rinses and Toothpastes
Oral rinses can help aid in the removal of plaque, but should not be used as a substitute and are generally not recommended for children.
There are many different toothpastes available on the market. Our dental professionals can recommend the right one that suits your needs.